Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Houston Texas, LINN Energy raised approximately $261 million through its initial public offering (IPO) in January 2006 and had an initial equity market capitalization of approximately $584 million.
LINN Energy, Inc. was formed in February 2017 as the reorganized successor to Linn Energy, LLC. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, the Company’s core focus areas are the Rockies, California, Hugoton Basin, Mid-Continent, Permian Basin, east Texas and north Louisiana (“TexLa”), Michigan, Illinois and South Texas.
The Company’s core focus areas were in the Rockies, the Hugoton Basin, California, east Texas and north Louisiana (“TexLa”), the Mid-Continent, the Permian Basin, Michigan, Illinois and south Texas.
August: Expanded operations into California and Oklahoma through the acquisition of assets from Blacksand Energy, LLC and Kaiser-Francis Oil Company for approximately $423 million
- August: Completed the acquisition of oil and natural gas properties and related assets in the Texas Panhandle from Stallion Energy for $411 million
- August: Completed the acquisition of Mid-Continent oil and natural gas properties from Dominion Resources for approximately $2 billion
August/September: Entered into the Permian Basin with the acquisitions of oil and natural gas properties in Texas and New Mexico for approximately $114 million
April: Entered into a new operating region in northern Michigan with the acquisition of natural gas properties in the Antrim Shale from HighMount Exploration and Production LLC for approximately $325 million
- March: Entered into the Bakken play, located in the Williston Basin of North Dakota with the acquisition of non-operated properties from Concho Resources for approximately $192 million
- June: Entered into the horizontal Cleveland play in the Anadarko Basin with the acquisition of oil and natural gas properties in Ochiltree and Lipscomb counties, Texas and Ellis county, Oklahoma from Panther Energy Company, LLC and Red Willow Mid-Continent, LLC for approximately $224 million
- March: Completed the acquisition of Hugoton Basin properties located in Kansas from BP America Production Company for approximately $1.2 billion, marking LINN’s entry into this large conventional gas field
- July: Completed the acquisition of properties in the Jonah Field, located in the Green River Basin of southwest Wyoming for approximately $988 million
December: Completed an approximately $4.6 billion transaction, net of cash acquired, with Berry Petroleum Company, LLC gaining producing properties in California (San Joaquin Valley Basin and Los Angeles Basin), Texas (Permian Basin and east Texas), Utah (Uinta Basin) and Colorado (Piceance Basin)
- August/September: Acquired mature, long-life primarily natural gas assets, including diversified properties in five U.S. producing basins from Devon Energy Corporation for approximately $2.1 billion and properties in the Hugoton Basin from Pioneer Natural Resources Company for approximately $328 million
- August/November: Completed two asset trades through which LINN received mature, long-life primarily natural gas assets in the Hugoton Basin and oil assets in the San Joaquin Valley Basin, in exchange for acreage prospective for horizontal Wolfcamp development and higher decline production in the Permian Basin
- May: LINN Energy, LLC filed voluntary petitions for restructuring under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code (“Chapter 11”) in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas (the “Bankruptcy Court”)